Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Top 5 Toad The Wet Sprocket Song Bridges


Top 5 Toad The Wet Sprocket song bridges




5. Stories I Tell

Off their breakout 1991 album, Fear, Stories I Tell was probably the most powerful and loud song Toad had released up to that point. It begins softly, and builds in volume as lead singer Glen Phillips belts out his emotional lyrics. The bridge is simple yet powerful. Glen is at full volume here.


4. Listen

Toad can be as sugary as any pop band, but they are also quite introspective and many times dramatic. Listen is one of their more serious tunes, slow and mournful, and even angry. It’s no wonder this bridge ranks among their best with fans. If you dig deep, you’ll be very well rewarded.


3. Rare Bird

**UPDATED** (I've had a change of opinion. After visiting this song many more times, I have concluded that this bridge must be moved up! It truly is an amazing song, and this bridge is one of Toad's finest moments.)

It's now 2013, and Toad is finally back in the studio since 1997 with a new album, New Constellation. And I’m happy to report their magic is in full force! Rare Bird is softly sung, until the bridge. They open up the vocals, bringing the volume to highs that mirror the soaring of the song’s protagonist. It’s beautiful and inspiring.


2. All Right

This quiet song makes perfect use of Toad’s excellent vocal harmony. Fronted by Todd Nichols, Toad’s lead guitarist, it stokes my memories. Makes me think of nighttime; also of great distances (in time and space), and rain. In the second section of the second verse - or pre-chorus, if you will - the drum beat gets things going into the bridge, helped along by Dean Dinning’s always driving bass rhythms. In fact, one of the key characteristics of Toad’s music for me is the “hummability”, and Dean solidifies that aspect.


1. Inside

In the top spot, Inside holds the distinction of being my favorite Toad song because after hearing the bridge, I knew they were my favorite band of all time. It is a tune sung by Todd Nichols. There’s plenty of feedback and reverb to keep my amplified side happy, and it brings to mind cloudy skies tinged orange by the evening sun. It also reminds me of expansive vistas, like the ones you get in Arizona or New Mexico. “To give me life”, the final lyrics, is very true indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home