Monday, April 25, 2005

What does not belong?

Mine eyes have witnessed the oddest thing last night.

It's nothing new for the musical community to get together and make music. Different artists from different genres meet to sing a song together. Usually, the genres are fairly close. The event in question almost defies description. What do you get when you mix a hardcore rap artist with a contemporary country superstar?

Mush.

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw it. Here was rapper Nelly onstage with country star Tim McGraw, and they were singing together. Not only were they singing together, but they were singing an R&B style tune, and they were enjoying themselves!!! The sad thing is, somewhere there is an executive practically rolling in money, laughing to himself, saying "Those idiots will buy anything we throw at them!! I can't believe I got away with putting a country star and a rap star together in the same room! And they still love it!! MORONS!!!! Pazaah!!"
Something about the pairing of stetsons and du-rags just doesn't seem right.

Now it's common knowledge to my friends that I have a strong distaste for mainstream music. There are scant few popular artists that I would even consider an "artist". The vast majority of music I listen to almost always draws odd expressions from those around me when I reveal it to them. Therefore, I have more tolerance for offbeat and non-mainstream music than others. Yet this, I will not tolerate. Tim McGraw and Nelly should not be let anywhere near an R&B song. What's next? Toby Keith and N.W.A. sing Sinatra???

Try to imagine that combo and not laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home