Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Wookiees and Robots


UpClose
Originally uploaded by Kodiak.

This Sunday I had the pleasure of meeting a man in a hairy suit. A very tall man who towers above most others. This man was none other than THE Peter Mayhew, the Wookiee we all know and love as Chewbacca. This marks the second time I've seen someone from the Star Wars universe in person. The first happened a few years back in Plano, Texas. There was a toy convention going on and Uncle Owen was there. Stupid me didn't bring a camera, and I didn't have the cash necessary to get a signed photo required to get in line to go up to the table and meet everyone. I was determined not to let that happen this time, especially since I was going to meet Chewbacca! The event went pretty well, though I wished I could have gotten a picture standing next to him, to give an idea of just how tall he is. I am 5ft 11in tall, and he is 7ft 3in tall, so there's a small difference.
Okay, I'm dreaming, but still, he's kinda tall.

On a side note, I watched the movie Robots after I met Chewie. I really liked the movie, even though the print was so horrible I could barely make out any details. This movie is ripe with visual goodness, and I was left looking through a blurry, darkened screen. Geez, I wish the theaters would take the plunge and upgrade everything to DLP or better. Roger Ebert is right: celluloid is the current best way to watch film, but the average joe wanting to watch the latest flick is NEVER going to get the opportunity to see films in this pristine manner. We're all waiting for digital!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home