Monday, September 26, 2005

And another thing...

I've been waring with my home PC for weeks now.

A short while back, I was trying to fix a problem with my video performance. There was an inexplicable pause every second during any video playback, mostly in games. Quite annoying that was, so I decided to update my video drivers. BANG. Now my computer crashes constantly. I rolled back to the original driver that came with my video card, which by the way is an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB AGP card(read: expensive), and it's only a year old, and the rollback seemed to remedy the problem. However, any attempt to install updated drivers would cause the problems all over again. The driver I had been using was slightly newer than what came with my card, but it is no longer offered, so now I have to search for it on the net, and I don't even know which version it is.

I now have to watch my computer like it's an unexploded land mine. One wrong move, and BAM! Crash.

My resolve to get an Apple computer has never been stronger. I work with one every day at work, and I love every minute of it. But don't get me wrong, I have equal experience with both Mac and Windows platforms. I'm no IT professional, but I know my way around a computer fairly well. Having worked closely with many different operating systems between these two platforms, I can say without doubt, that a good Mac with OSX Tiger cannot be beat. It blows Windows XP straight out of the water. It's so simple to use, it's rediculously well designed, and a joy to work with. I only hope that our request for G5s for our group will be accepted. We've been trying to upgrade our Macs for some time now, and are presently working off of hand-me-down Quicksilver Macs from the Marketing department, which is extremely annoying; to work in a competitive creative environment with out-of-date equipment is not the best way to stay ahead of the pack. Our retail business is all about staying ahead of the rest-to be trend setters. How are we to set trends with technology of years past? The computer industry evolves blindingly fast, and last years technological breakthrough becomes this years dinosaur faster than you can say "Windows SUCKS!"

2 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Starrlett said...

Alex and I feel your conflicted pain. The mere idea that Apple creates all of its software and hardware *itself* to operate in symphonic harmony is a beautiful and successful idea. But man, we have used PCs for so long, and the thought of converting after so many years... Ugh. It's a tough choice, there, but man, would it be nice to get away from Evil Microsoft.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Kodiak said...

You could get a Mac Mini! If you look around, you can get a first generation one, which has a 1.2 gigahertz G4 processor in it. It's perfect to get started with, and barely takes up any space. If you look around, you can find one for $300! That's a bargain for the best operating system around!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home