Monday, November 28, 2005

War Of The Worlds ***

I just saw the movie over the Thanksgiving holiday at my parents' house, and I'm disappointed.

I'm disappointed that I did not go and see this in the theater. Talk about intense! Of course, to get the full effect, you have to have a powerful sound system. There's just no way around it. And boy, did I get the full effect! My dad had purchased and had just received a new speaker system, and it was terrific, to say the least. He already owns a stellar subwoofer, and the new system includes another subwoofer, so you can bet we were pounding! They blended seamlessly together, and the impact was nothing short of astounding!

I won't give any details as to what happens, only to make you aware that this is a remake of a very old movie and an even older book. I remember being terrified of the original War Of The Worlds movie as a child. This version does a fine job of scaring you out of your wits! The alien war machines look SWEET! Regardless of what Roger Ebert thinks of them. They seem otherworldly, and nothing compares to the sound they make when they alert their bretheren of the flocks of humans to be destroyed.

I'm totally hooked on this movie right now, and am watching the DVD this moment. Problem is, it's a Paramount DVD release, and Paramount is notorious for their dismal efforts. The DVD doesn't even have an inner booklet, is only one disk, has one short, feeble attempt at some behind-the-scenes footage, has no other extras or commentary, and still costs $20. Phooey. I've never been impressed with Paramount. They are nothing compared to New Line, which packs their DVD releases with as much content as possible.

Anyway, do see this film in a dedicated home theater. Seeing it on a small screen without surround sound is meaningless. The film isn't all that thick with plot intricacies or character development, and is meant to be enjoyed in full volume, as visceral as possible.

2 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Starrlett said...

Dude, I'll give you that the movie, particularly the first third, really captures that "what would it be like?" feeling. Very cool.

But that middle of the movie I kept wondering why they spent so loooooong in the basement. Not really so much the "there's a nutso living here" as much as, "why the heck aren't you RUNNING?" :-)

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Kodiak said...

I have found that the more I watch it, the more I like it!

I bought the 2 disc special edition, and I'm happier each time I watch it.

The movie gets better with time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home