Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Third Time's a Charm

I have just finished reading the Harry Potter series for the third time.

That's currently six novels. The seventh is on the way, though the wait will be most arduous. J.K. Rowling, the author, has said that she will not begin writing the final novel full-time until 2006. That means it is safe to say that the world won't be reading it until sometime in 2007. Oh the HUMANITY!!!

I am by no means an avid reader, and I would venture a guess that the number of novels I've read in my lifetime would be aroud 50 or so. But beyond doubt, the Potter series is the best I've ever read. Better than The Hobbit, or Lord of the Rings, better than Michael Chricton (who used to be my favorite author), better than anything.

There are those who would scoff at this. Those who would laugh that a 28 year old man would like Harry Potter novels. That I would like reading about a boy wizard, and wands, and broomsticks and such. If you think it's stupid/childish/annoying/boring/insignificant/rubbish... I don't care. I will continue to gain great pleasure in reading them again and again, and will do so for the rest of my life. Your loss, my gain.

With the fourth Harry Potter movie looming on the horizon, I eagerly await another headlong dive into the fantasy realm of the boy with the lightning-shaped scar on his forehead.

2 Comments:

At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oy! Oy! Oy! Oy! have you lost your mind?!?!!? Look, Harry Potter is good stuff, easy reading and well constructed, and I like it. And I read it, but it is *not* I repeat **NOT** better than Tolkein.

Bite your toung.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Kodiak said...

No, anonymous. I will NOT bite my tongue!

I will not say that the Harry Potter series is more significant than Tolkein, or that it deserves a higher place in history, but I WILL say that it is better, and without regret.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home